Friday, January 2, 2009

hey it's 2009

ok, maybe I'm a little behind for this blog. No wonder my ex-husband used to say "I lived in the land of later". Figured I would do whatever it was that I said I would do...but when I say I'll do it later...well later could be today or next week or next year. Maybe that's something I should try and change for 2009.
I would probably keep that resolution about as long as any other....oh maybe 2 weeks at most.

Now how did making resolutions become such a big deal anyways?
(I found this online)
ANCIENT NEW YEARS
The celebration of the new year is the oldest of all holidays
. It was first observed in ancient Babylon about 4000 years ago. In the years around 2000 BC, the Babylonian New Year began with the first New Moon (actually the first visible cresent) after the Vernal Equinox (first day of spring).
**my question** If it happened 2000BC....how did anyone know that 2000 years from then that christ would be born and the years would change from BC to AD? Did they have fortune tellers at that time?

The Romans continued to observe the new year in late March, but their calendar was continually tampered with by various emperors so that the calendar soon became out of synchronization with the sun.
In order to set the calendar right, the Roman senate, in 153 BC, declared January 1 to be the beginning of the new year. But tampering continued until Julius Caesar, in 46 BC, established what has come to be known as the Julian Calendar. It again established January 1 as the new year. But in order to synchronize the calendar with the sun, Caesar had to let the previous year drag on for 445 days.

It always boggled my mind that Jewish people had their on New Year....also known as Yom Kippur (or however u spell it) in the Fall, and the Chinese New year is usually late Jan-early Feb (Jan 29th this year) and few other groups have different dates to celebrate for new years. From looking through history seems like nobody can agree on the calender.
**************************************
Well this year, I worked the morning of New Years Eve. A small Japenese tour group came in and the driver taught us to say Happy New Year in Japanese.

* itchy,knee,sun,she,go* now say those 5 words all together as if they were 1 word...and thats how u say happy new year in Japanese.

For New Years Eve, Jack & I went to the bar at Maswik. I only had 1 screwdriver and 1/2 a beer...couldn't drink anymore cuz I was to busy taking pictures of everyone.
New Years Day, Jack & I went to visit Brenda and play cards. I joked how it must be the new tradition because last year I played cards with Brenda & Susan.

No comments: